2016: A Month of Horror in Retrospect

This blog post was originally written in October 2016.

Day 31: A Month of Horror in Retrospect

Since I had seen all of the alternates on the list, today I decided to not watch a movie and simply enjoy the holiday. I wanted to say thank you all for following my progress through the month, and I hope you were inspired to watch more horror yourselves!

Here's some breakdowns from the last month:

Best movie: The Voices. It was just such an out-of-nowhere film that really got my interest and struck me to my core on a deep psychological level.

Worst movie: I think it's a toss-up between A Girl Walks Home At Midnight and Under the Skin. A Girl... was just so dull, but at the same time I have no clue what Under the Skin was about and I'm not entirely convinced the director did either. I guess I'd be willing to watch Under the Skin again if it meant I'd actually be able to make sense of it, but I wouldn't watch A Girl... again.

Best Foreign Film: Troll Hunter. It was a surprisingly good found footage movie, and the setting was so central to the mythology of the film that I couldn't see it taking place somewhere like America. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

Best Movie I'd Already Seen: Can I say Tremors? It had been like twenty years since I saw it last so I don't know. If not, I'd say Tucker & Dale vs Evil.

Movie I Wish Had Been On the List: Well, the original Halloween would have been nice, even though I've seen it before- it would be nice to look at it critically. Not quite the same thing, but I wish John Dies At the End had been a standard movie and not an alternate- it's such a fun film and I'd love to watch it again and talk about it. But since it was an alternate, I wanted to stick with as few movies I'd already seen as possible.

Would I Do This Again?: Well, yes, but not without a bit of hesitation. Watching a movie a day is really, really hard when you're working full time and have a full life of responsibilities- as evidenced by the number of times I was late (including right now!). That being said, it was so great to watch movies again, and I saw so many I never would have seen otherwise. I wouldn't trade that for anything, but at the same time I have to acknowledge it was a huge commitment.

Anyway, that's all for this month. Thank you all for following along, and I hope you had a great October!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review #181: The Evil Dead (1981)

Review #153: The Endless (2018)

Review #179: It (2017)