Review #2: The VVitch (2015)




This review was originally written in October 2016.

Day 2: I just watched The VVitch with my wife. It was... a movie, I guess, but that's pretty much all I can give it credit for. It seemed like it was going to be something interesting, but I can't help but feel like nothing... happened, or at least the plotting of the movie was "this thing happens, then this thing happens, then this thing happens, and then the credits roll". I don't really feel like the characters had any kind of arc or like they affected the world around them in any way. (I feel the same way about the movie Lords of Salem- I don't feel like the story had any kind of structure to it.) Also, I can't help but dock the movie a couple points because of the old-english dialogue. I understand they're trying to be period-appropriate or whatever, but I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and I had to actively work just to understand each line as it was spoken. Would the movie really have suffered if they had re-written the dialogue to be less archaic? It certainly couldn't have hurt their box office numbers if more people can understand what's being said.

Rating: 5/10 Black Philips

Alternate title: The Perfectly Ordinary Rabbit


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review #181: The Evil Dead (1981)

Review #153: The Endless (2018)

Review #179: It (2017)