Review #25: We Are What We Are (2013)


This review was originally written in October 2016.

Day 25: We Are What We Are

Another alternate. It may be film fatigue talking, but this movie just didn't grab me at all. The pace is incredibly slow, almost nothing happens for the first half of the runtime, and it felt like the movie was trying to come across as some kind of a "twist" except if it was meant to be a twist, I saw it coming literally within the first five minutes (and if it wasn't supposed to be a twist, then the movie puts wayyyyy to much weight on simple things and is purposefully cryptic about what the characters are doing until past the halfway point).

I'm sure the actors and production staff were doing their best and putting forth a good effort, but the premise was just so predictable that I knew what I was in for right from the start. Literally the only thing in the movie that I didn't see coming before it happened was the plot being solved through medical knowledge. (And, well, I guess the exact nature of the ending surprised me- I still don't get wtf that was- but though I didn't know how it was going to happen, it still ended the way I assumed.)

On an unrelated note, I spent most of the movie thinking that the little boy was the kid from The Babadook. (He isn't, but there were at least two other actors who were in other movies I've watched this month.)

Rating: 4/10 Boiled Bones

Another (and Arguably Better) Work of Fiction that Deals with Prion Diseases in a Small Town with Cannibalistic Residents, and Where There's a Scene Where Human Remains are Found in the Town Creek: The X-Files season 2, episode 24- "Our Town"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review #181: The Evil Dead (1981)

Review #153: The Endless (2018)

Review #179: It (2017)