Review #28: A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014)


This review was originally written in October 2016.

Day 28: A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

Wow. Uh, what to say about this movie? It's an Iranian black-and-white film that takes place in an indeterminate 50's-style era. I don't think I would call it a horror movie, but for the life of me I can't figure out what I would call it instead. I mean, it has a vampire in it, so I guess horror would be the natural choice, but... I don't know. It's not really scary or particularly atmospheric, it's not funny, it's not thrilling, it's just... artsy, but I don't think "artsy" is a genre. It almost feels (mainly because of the ending) like a romance movie, but even that doesn't sound right.

Overall I wouldn't say I liked this movie. I can tell the director really had a vision in mind when making it, but I either couldn't tell what was going on for most of the movie or there wasn't anything going on for most of the movie. And it didn't help that roughly 80% of the movie is dead space where nobody is talking or doing anything. Again, I'm sure the director had a great vision for a five-minute-long shot of two people listening to music, but it doesn't really make for good cinema in my opinion.

Oh, and by the way, this is the last non-substitute movie I'll be watching this month. So none of the next three movies are set in stone.

Rating: 3/10 DIY Ear Piercings

Name for a Ska Band: The Skateboarding Greaser Vampires

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review #181: The Evil Dead (1981)

Review #153: The Endless (2018)

Review #179: It (2017)