Review #30: Creep (2014)


This review was originally written in October 2016.

Day 30: Creep

I kept going back and forth between whether this movie was good or bad; in the end I would say it's better than average. It was at times quite original, and at others utterly predictable. I think it did a good enough job at pacing the scares so that it wasn't as bland as most found footage movies- the vast majority have the exact same structure of slow rising action for an hour and twenty minutes and then a sudden climax and then it's over, whereas this one has a mini-climax at the middle, then some back-and-forth, and then the actual climax is incredibly slow and methodical, to the point where it's actually neat that they put a goofy jumpscare at the end.

One thing that I found incredibly frustrating, though, is that this goes against the found footage grain by having the character "get away" halfway through the film, his footage intact. But then the whole time I'm yelling at the screen, "Go to the cops! Show them your footage! DO SOMETHING!" The movie hand-waves this, though, by having the main character call the cops (while he's still inexplicably filming, without the justification the first half of the movie has) and the cops seemingly just blow him off. So even though he has all of this video evidence of how he's being stalked by a psycho, and continues to get evidence of such, he just stops after one attempt. If I feared for my life, I wouldn't sleep at home without a cop outside, if at all.

Rating: 7/10 Heart-Shaped Hot Tubs

Something I Never Did as a Kid that I Do Not Regret One Bit: Tubby time with dad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review #181: The Evil Dead (1981)

Review #153: The Endless (2018)

Review #179: It (2017)