Review #277: Night of the Demons (1988)


This review was originally written in October 2023.

Gabe's Horror Movie October Review #31 - Night of the Demons (1988)

Final movie for October 2023! I hope you all had a wonderful month!

Night of the Demons is a movie about a group of teens that all hate each other, that go to a Halloween party at an abandoned funeral parlor. After playing a Bloody Mary-esque group game, one of the teens is possessed by a demon. She then shoves a stick of lipstick into her boob and kills most of the other teens, who become possessed by demons as well I guess, and the remaining two manage to escape. The film finishes out with an endcap to a scene at the start of the movie about an old man who gets a taste of his own medicine after trying to sabotage some apples for Trick-or-Treaters. The End.

I don't know how obvious it was through my lack of effort in that recap, but I didn't much care for this movie. None of the characters were likable (it's quite an accomplishment that the clingy, stalker-y ex-boyfriend turns out to be one of the most sympathetic characters of the bunch), most of the scenes just kind of meandered from one to the next until the action starts 40 minutes in, the dialogue was atrocious (and there was a shocking amount of noticeably-imperfect ADR, indicating very poor audio during filming), and I absolutely hated the music. This movie gets a couple points because I enjoy when horror films take place on Halloween (and I'm sure this was chosen to be the 31st movie on the list for that reason, we started with Trick 'r Treat so we might as well end with a Halloween-centric movie too) but apart from that personal soft spot of mine I really didn't find much in this one to like.

Apparently this movie first debuted in my hometown of Detroit, which is cool, and it's had a huge cult following (including getting two sequels and a straight-to-DVD 2009 reboot), so good for them I guess, but I really didn't care for it. It's worth a watch if you want to just put on something stupid, or if you're trying to curate a playlist of movies that take place on Halloween, but this is yet another cult classic that I think just doesn't hold up.

Overall Rating: 4/10 Homemade Apple Pies

Favorite Quote of Possibly the Whole Month: "Eat a bowl of fuck! I am here to PARTY!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review #181: The Evil Dead (1981)

Review #199: What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)

Review #188: Let Me In (2010)